Saturday, December 17, 2016

Can a dog hear peanut butter hitting bread at 50 yards?


Can a dog hear peanut butter hitting bread at 50 yards?
OK, here I am.  It’s 1:30 in the morning and I’m working on a project.  Everyone in the house is asleep, except for me.  The dog is snoring away in the bedroom with my wife.  I get a little hungry.  Good time for a peanut better sandwich, I think.  So I quietly get up, not allowing my chair to squeak and make my way to the kitchen.  Without rustling the plastic bag, I take out two slices of bread and lay them on the counter.  From the cupboard I take the peanut butter, from the refrigerator, the butter.  OK, it’s some kind of perpetually soft butter substitute.  I get a knife from the drawer.  All this is in Ninja mode, not making a sound.  I spread the imitation butter on one piece of bread, and peanut butter on the other.  In silence I return the spread to the fridge and the peanut butter to the cupboard.  I start back to the computer and there I see it.  The dog, lying on the floor in front of my chair.

I love our dog.  She is our baby girl. And whenever I make a sandwich, she gets the last bite.  It was a family tradition my dad started when I was a kid and I have continued it today through all the dogs we’ve had.  I don’t so much MIND her waiting for her due.  I just want to know how she does it.  She was ASLEEP… in the OTHER ROOM… I made NO noise.  But there she is.  Are her ears really good enough to hear peanut butter hit bread at 50 feet?  Or maybe she’s psychic.  Now there is a scary thought.

1 comment:

  1. Although you were quiet, I doubt you assembled your sandwich in the dark.

    ReplyDelete